2023 Environmental Literacy Grants
All 2023 applicants have been notified. Please contact Katie Hatam if you have any questions about your status.
OSPI’s State Environmental Literacy Plan (ELP)
The state ELP aims to develop individual and collective understanding, skills, cultural awareness, motivation, and practice of environmental stewardship. The plan offers a set of four broad goals in the categories of K-12 Education, Educator and Administrator Professional Learning, Community Engagement, and Implementation/Funding.
OSPI, through the Environmental Literacy Grants, is providing funding to support the implementation of projects that increase educators’ capacity to take youth outdoors for learning. These are reimbursement grants that can fund projects like:
- Educator and administrator training/professional learning
- Construction of accessible outdoor learning spaces
- Equipment and supplies to improve access and culturally responsive outdoor learning
Projects that serve Title 1, Title 3, Title 6, I.D.E.A., and/or 504 students will be prioritized.
Grant Application Schedule
- Evaluation Period: January 23 to January 31, 2023
- Grantees Notified: February 2, 2023 (Anticipated)
- Grants Implemented: February 2 to June 14, 2023
- Final Invoice Due: June 15, 2023
- Final Report Due: June 30, 2023
Have more Questions?
- See our FAQ document (revised 4/3/23).
- See the Grant Scoring Rubric.
- Learn the differences between the Environmental Literacy Grant and the Outdoor Learning Grant.
- Contact the Environmental Literacy Grants Manager, Katie Hatam, at [email protected].
2022 Environmental Literacy Grants
Spring of 2022, 18 environmental literacy grants were funded. School districts across the state identified needs to increase standards-based outdoor learning. Learn more about a couple of the projects highlighted below.
2022 Environmental Literacy Grant Projects
Project overviews for the school districts and schools funded through this project.