Spring of 2022, 18 environmental literacy grants were funded. School districts across the state identified needs to increase standards-based outdoor learning. Learn more about a couple of the projects highlighted below.
2022 Environmental Literacy Projects
Project overviews for the school districts and schools funded through this project.
2022 Environmental Literacy Grants are Closed.
OSPI recently revised the State Environmental Literacy Plan which aims to develop individual and collective understanding, skills, cultural awareness, motivation, and practice of environmental stewardship. The plan offers a set of four broad goals in the categories of K-12 Education, Educator and Administrator Professional Learning, Community Engagement, and Implementation/Funding.
OSPI is providing funding to support the implementation of environmental literacy projects. These grants can fund projects like:
- Educator and administrator training/professional learning
- Construction of outdoor learning spaces
- Outdoor learning equipment and supplies, including gear to improve access and equity
Projects that serve Title 1, Title 3, Title 6, I.D.E.A., and 504 students and projects that focus on early childhood and elementary will be prioritized.
Only school districts may apply. Requests can be made for $1,000 to $25,000
- Proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis beginning March 31st at 4 pm and are open until funds have been allocated.
- Informational meetings will be held on Zoom:
- March 23rd 2:30 to 3:30
Video of the Information Meeting Session 1
- March 24th 4:00 to 5:00
- March 23rd 2:30 to 3:30
- Only school districts may apply.
- Complete a grant application with a budget (budget template).Download the budget template to add your information.
- Complete planning or implement project, spend funds, and receive all goods or services by June 20th, 2022
- Provide a final report by July 15th, 2022
Key Information to include in your application
- How will your project strengthen Environmental Literacy in your district?
- How will the work accomplished be part of the scope and sequence and sustained in future years? How does the project serve Title 1, Tile 3, Title 6, I.D.E.A., and 504 students?
- Provide a budget and short narratives for the following categories:
- Salaries (Certificated and Classified),
- Benefits and taxes,
- Supplies, Instructional Resources and
- Noncapitalized Assets and Purchased Services (Subcontracts/Sub re-imbursements and Facilities and Catering)
- If you had more funds that came late-April, would you be able to use them and what would you use them for?
Ideas for using Environmental Literacy Grants to support environmental and sustainability education in your district
Funding supports planning, design and development of outdoor classroom space to support outdoor learning. Districts can provide students an accessible, multifunctional natural area on campus or within a 10-minute walk of the school.
Budget options for Outdoor Classrooms:
- Materials and supplies outdoor learning area
- Equipment to support equitable outdoor learning (all terrain wheelchairs, raised science exploration tables, raised garden beds, multilingual language materials)
Field and Out of School Experiences:
Plan for and prepare teaching materials for all students at a grade level to experience at least one field experience every year. Field experiences often require travel to a community site to learn about green jobs, contribute to a stewardship project or to conduct hands-on science.
Budget options for Field and Out of School Experiences allocations:
- Student travel expenses
- Material and equipment expenses including gear to allow accessibility and equity (such as an all-terrain wheelchair, or backpacks with field gear)
Funding allows PreK-5 and secondary educators to participate in one or more professional learning experiences support environmental and outdoor education.
Budget Options for Professional Learning:
- Contract for professional learning to meet your district’s needs.
- Funds can be used to cover participation stipends for teachers